Lots to celebrate this week: This stud’s birthday is coming up, and we passed 1 year aboard our boat!
I am such a lucky lady.
But because Conor doesn’t like to make a big deal out of his birthday, the rest of this post will be about our year aboard. This is a random collection of thoughts with contributions from both me and Conor, in no particular order.
- Showing off the boat is fun. It’s like bragging about your kid, but people are more impressed.
- Parenting is hard whether you are on a boat or in a house. Sleep deprivation is still sleep deprivation.
- Sometimes I have no idea what to write on the blog.
- It can be hard to focus on work when all you want to do is sail off into the sunset.
- All boat work must be done with a beer in hand.
- We still haven’t used our dinghy.
- Why does the bilge always smell weird after we sail?
- Conor keeps accidentally dropping AC filters into the river when he cleans them. We are on #3 now.
- Using a cockpit as my writing office is super sweet, until the bugs come out in summer.
- I am bad at taking Instagram photos. I don’t have the patience. Usually I look at my phone and say, “Meh, that will work.”
- It is hard to get your significant other Christmas/birthday/anniversary presents because you don’t have anywhere to put them.
- I have only worn makeup 8 times this year. Hobo boater fashion is going to catch on, I just know it.
- Occasionally when the weather is horrible, I envy the people in base housing.
- Doing the black water pump out always smells bad. In 4 degrees or 90. The first time or the thirtieth time.
- Some friends like to exert their dominance by peeing on the boat, knowing that Conor will have to drag their urine up a hill.
- Ice is a novelty.
- It is okay to say, “I don’t know why it’s doing that.”
- What is ‘personal space’?
- The best part of Conor’s day is sliding open the hatch and yelling “Hello girls!” Even when the baby is napping.
- We are thankful to be doing this today instead of 30 years from now.
Taylor, Conor, and W