“Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.” Words to live by. In my opinion, there is no better way to learn something than by doing it. Currently I don’t feel prepared AT ALL to live on a sailboat. Here is the sum total of my and Conor’s experience level so far:
- 1 overnight on a 38 ft Hunter via AirBnB
- 1 weekend beginner level sailing course, certification via American Sailing Association
- 2 books read about living aboard/cruising
- 6 months obsessively reading the WindTraveler blog and Googling sailing vocab words I didn’t understand
- 1 afternoon at the San Diego Boat Show (2017)
That’s it. Props for honesty at least, right? But here’s the thing: we will learn more within 30 days of living on our own boat than we could ever hope to learn via classroom or instructor. I think it is kinda like having a baby: you can read all the books you want on parenting and childbirth, but you aren’t going to fully understand it unless you experience it.
We’ll let you know how it goes.
Taylor and Conor